Saturday, March 10, 2012

Second Week of Lent - Saturday

Day Eighteen
Part 2 Chapter 7
"The Art of Rising After We Fall"

Last June, I was blessed to read "Searching for and Maintaining Peace" along with several godly women.  That wonderful book also emphasized the need for an immediate rising after a fall and a maintenance (or quick restoration) of interior peace.  Before reading that book, it had never occurred to me how prideful, offensive to Christ's mercy, and damaging to my interior life it was to indulge in discouragement and sometimes even self-loathing after falling.  This chapter reinforces those truths.

Perhaps reading this chapter is the first time that you have considered your behavior after a fall, even into mortal sin.  This chapter would be a wonderful source of meditation!  We shall, my sisters, sin again.  It is a sad truth.  Convinced then of our situation, it is prudent to make a plan for action after we do.  Rather than make us callous to the offense of our sins and careless in our struggle, such a plan can remind us of how helpless we are without God's mercy, how dear a price this mercy cost, and how lovingly Our Lord extends His mercy to sinners.

3 comments:

  1. I would like to second your recommendation of reading "Searching for and Maintaining Peace". It has been a wonderful little guide in teaching me how, by the grace of God, to maintain interior peace. I was not aware either how prideful it was to dwell on my sins. Praise the Lord for His Mercy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially appreciated the commentary on how to go about rising again. This will need to be part of my rule, a part of my daily examination. Keeping my eye on His love and mercy, not letting my own self love in the form of discouragement cloud my vision....

    ReplyDelete