Monday, March 5, 2012

Second Week of Lent - Tuesday

Day Fourteen
Part 2 Chapter 3
"Spiritual Reading - What Books to Read"

We're at the halfway point in our reading, ladies.

In the last post, I included another booklist that you might want to consider, and in an earlier post mentioned "Searching For and Maintaining Peace".  Monsignor Lejeune certainly presented enough titles to keep me occupied for quite some time.  My experience is that the Holy Spirit does a wonderful job of putting eager souls in touch with the right titles--it's when I'm directing my search that I overreach or otherwise get off-track. 

I did take some umbrage at his statement about women being "too sensitive" and "too susceptible to what is known in medicine as autosuggestion" as regards the works of St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross.  Perhaps it is my inexperience with offering spiritual direction to women (or men for the matter) or my modern sensibilities that are to blame, but Monsignor's words there struck me as a bit condescending and over-generalizing. 
_______________________________
Given our vocations, these titles might also prove good spiritual reading and especially interesting for those who enjoy "true stories":
"My Spirit Rejoices" about Elizabeth Leseur
"Married Saints and Blesseds Through the Centuries"

Thank you, Michele, who found this link to our book in an audio format. http://www.jmjsite.com/a/12/12wpo.pdf


No comments:

Post a Comment