Thursday, March 8, 2012

Second Week of Lent - Thursday

Day Sixteen
Part 2 Chapter 5
"Good Resolutions"


"Form once again those same resolutions which you have broken so many times. Form them with a humble distrust in yourselves, but with a boundless confidence in God."

I went to Confession today and so I am particularly aware of an area that needs attention.  Reading Monsignor's advice on how to make a good resolution has armed me with a new ... well, resolve.
The resolution should be
  1. precise
  2. practical
  3. constant 
I am guilty of 'resolving' to "do better" at this particular vice--too vague and too difficult over a lifetime.  It seems that what I need to say is, "Today I will refrain from _____________ when in such and such a situation."  That's all.  I will undoubtedly need to repeat that resolution in some form over many, many days; but I can't let myself get that far ahead of things.  This resolution is for this day.   

_____________________________________
Definitions: Caprice is an impulsive change of mind.
Velleities are wishes or inclinations not strong enough to lead to action.
Inertia is the tendency to remain unchanged, doing or not doing.

2 comments:

  1. I read somewhere that the levels before resolution can be described as follows: wish, desire, longing, intention and finally resolution, and that it is at this level of commitment (the resolution) that we find the help of the Holy Spirit in our endevour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with this delineation of the path to resolution. What constitutes the differentiation?

      Delete