Monday, March 12, 2012

Third Week of Lent - Monday

Day Twenty
Part 2 Chapter 9
"The Government of the Tongue"

Ouch!
Is that too brief a post? 
Monsignor's counsel is not harsh like that which would come from a man who enjoys making people wince.  No, his words have the sting of truth in me like a scalpel exposing the center of an infected wound.  The intention is healing; I can only thank the Lord for bringing the specific details of this fault to my attention, along with the blessings for my soul and for my children if I repent and change my ways.


_______________________________
Definitions:
The word "prurience" is used early in the chapter.  That word is usually related to things which are lewd, however that connection doesn't seem to bear out in the context of the word in subsequent sentences.  Perhaps there was an meaning in the early part of the twentieth century that has not been retained in modern usage.
Odious means repulsive.
Loquacity means a propensity to talk excessively.
Disparagement is belittling another person.
A repast is a meal.
Malignity refers to a desire to do some evil to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment